10 Quick and Easy Home Sales Tips
- Remove exposed posts and half walls. Today’s buyers want more space, and partial walls and posts gobble up room. The only walls that should remain are those that offer privacy or conceal electrical wires or plumbing stacks.
- Add power outlets with USB ports in rooms that lack them, especially in the kitchen, bathrooms, and bedrooms where they’re most needed.
- Expand a small kitchen to increase its functionality and to look larger. Two quick fixes: Change the back splash by adding mirrors, stainless steel, or paint, which will introduce light and views; and add an island.
- Change out corroded or dented doorknobs and levers. The replacements don’t have to be expensive but they should look new and clean.
- Pay attention to landscaping. Focus on mowing grass, removing crab grass, and eliminating dead plants and tree branches. If you have extra funds, add lots of seasonal color through blooming annuals and perennial plants. Remove problems like too much noise from traffic or neighbors by installing an inexpensive fountain with trickling water.
- Outfit closets for extra storage to make rooms look larger and less cluttered. Top contenders for redo’s are an entry closet for a good first impression, kitchen pantries where storage is key, and a linen closet to keep sheets, towels, and other stuff neat.
- Tighten a home’s “envelope” to improve energy efficiency and savings. Put money and effort into well-insulated double-paned windows, sealed furnace ducts, energy-efficient appliances, the newest programmable thermostats, LED and compact fluorescent lights, and a smart irrigation box on a sprinkler to cut water usage.
- Remove outdated wallpaper, replacing it with paint and preferably a neutral color.
- Clear out and clean the garage. Power wash the floor or paint it if it’s in bad shape. Remove dated cabinets, and remove all junk that’s been stored there. This allows prospects to see how much space they would have for their own storage requirements.
- Pay attention to your bathrooms. Specifically, make sure you have freshly laundered towels, new soap in soap dishes, spotless mirrors, and no mildew in
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.