I am going to share a total of 50 ways over 5 days to green your home in Greater Vancouver and save money.
Let's get ready to learn the first 10 tips in Day 1.
- Green neighbourhoods - Buy a home in a neighbourhood close to work, transit, shopping, community centres and other services.
- Transit-oriented density (TOD) - New, compact, complete green neighbourhoods are being built with transit as their focus. Instead of owning a car, join a car share cooperative, take transit, cycle or walk.
- Lower Cost Luxury - If it’s features such as a gym or pool you want, buy a strata unit with these amenities and share costs.
- Score your location - Walkable neighbourhoods offer health, environmental, financial and community benefits. Enter your address or the address of a home you want to buy at www.walkscore.com. This tool calculates a walkability score based on the home’s proximity to transit, grocery stores, schools and other amenities.
- You choose, you save - LiveSmart BC offers a variety of incentive and rebate programs.
- Install a high-efficiency heating system - Make sure it’s ENERGY STAR rated.
- Weatherize your home - From windows to doors to insulation and weather stripping. Don’t forget to seal your ducts.
- Insulate your pipes - It will prevent costly heat loss.
- Insulate your hot water heater - Buy a pre-cut jacket or blanket for $10–$20. You’ll save up to 10% on heating costs.
- Install a programmable thermostat - Set it lower at night and during the day when you’re away. Lower the temperature. Each degree below 20C saves you 3-5% on heating costs.
Source: Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (May 2013)